The J-BILAT project was the first FP7 "BILAT" project for the promotion of EU-Japan cooperation, under the Capacities programme. A strong and extensive network of Japanese organizations has been formed towards the cooperation with Europe, and activities for the promotion of EU-Japan cooperation in science, technology and innovation (STI) have been recognized as useful horizontal action. The project greatly contributed to the better understanding of FP7 and beyond by Japanese researchers and managers, policy makers and funding organizations. During the project life time, the number of Japanese participations in FP7 projects increased from under 30 (as of September 2009) to over 110 (as of December 2012). Through the surveys and help desk services, actual/potential problems or roadblocks have been identified and measures have been taken or recommendation have been made to the proper organisations (e.g. regarding the application for PIC).
Final executive summary of the project
In September 2013, a new BILAT project, Japan-EU Partnership in Innovation, Science and Technology (JEUPISTE) was launched. For coming 3 years, JEUPISTE will further enhance the level of Europe-Japan cooperation with richer activities, including contribution to the EU-Japan STI policy dialogues, implementation of bilateral information services, active network building through academic/innovation workshops, operation of help desk and organization of training courses.
The JEUPISTE project aims at promoting EU-Japan cooperation in Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) through supports to policy dialogues, deployment of bilateral information services, organisation of networking events focusing on specific technologies and/or societal challenges, operation of help desk services and contribution to the development of human resources for collaborative projects.
The consortium involved in the project consists of the following 10 partners:
- Institute for International Studies and
Training (EU-Japan Centre for Industrial Cooperation-Coordinator)
- Agency for the Promotion of European
- Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt (DE)
- Foundation for Research and Technology Hellas (GR)
- Regional Centre for Information and Scientific
- The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TR)
- Agency for Management of Universities
and Research Grants (ES)
- Rete Internazionale per le Piccole e Medie Imprese (International Network for SMEs)(IT)
- National University Corporation Kobe University (JP)
- Centre for Social Innovation (AT)