Vulcanus in Japan - A training programme for EU / COSME students
Testimonials FROM former participants
|Hoang Duy Nguyen (BE)
trainee at NTT, VJ2013-14
"My year spent in Japan has without a doubt been the most exciting experience of my life so far." Read more
|Katia Boutou (GR)
trainee at Hitachi, VJ2014-15
"The Vulcanus in Japan programme really offers a priceless opportunity to eligible students." Read more
What is it?
Vulcanus in Japan started in 1997. The programme consists of industrial placements for EU / COSME students. It starts in September and ends in August of the following year in order to accommodate the academic year in EU Member States.
The students follow:
- a one-week seminar on Japan,
- a four-month intensive Japanese language course,
- and then an eight-month traineeship in a Japanese company.
- To study the range of advanced technologies employed by a leading Japanese host company.
- To learn Japanese and to understand and appreciate Japanese culture with a view to an enriching one year experience abroad.
- To be well placed in your future career to interact with Japanese businesses and people.
Who pays what
This programme is financed by the EU-Japan Centre for Industrial Cooperation and the Japanese host company. The EU / COSME students are awarded a grant (Yen 1.900.000) to cover the cost of travel to and from Japan and living expenses in Japan. There is no charge for the language course and seminar, and accommodation is provided free of charge during the course and seminar and the company traineeship.
Are you eligible?
You must be:
- citizen of an EU Member-State or a COSME partnering country.
- a student of engineering or science at an EU / COSME university, enrolled in at least the fourth year of studies, when applying to the Vulcanus programme*.
- able to provide a certificate of enrollment at the university valid until at least 3 months prior to the starting of the programme
(*) Computer science, science engineering, mechanical engineering, chemical, electronics, biotechnology, electrical engineering, physics, telecommunication, nuclear engineering, civil engineering, metal materials, ceramics, production system,…
Applicants are selected on the basis of their academic record and the opinion of their tutors, their knowledge of written and spoken English, their motivation, their attitude to EU-Japan relations and their ability to adapt to a different culture.
How to apply
Deadline to apply: 20 January
Documents to submit: see list in the first page of the application form.
Application form and relevant documents are uploaded every year in November.
Should you consult this webpage from February to October, please take a look at the OLD application form, that you can find online ONLY FOR CONSULTATION.