"Step in Japan" is a support initiative for SMEs, offered free of charge.
It acts as a landing pad for SMEs(*) based in the EU or SMP associated country (**), planning on entering into or expanding within Japan.
The initiative encompasses a full range of essential support measures for businesses:
- free office space in Japan: a “hot desk” in Tokyo on the Centre’s premises that includes an internet connection and telephone (***) for up to 1 month (a maximum of 2 beneficiaries per time slot);
- full access to meeting and seminar facilities within the Centre’s premises;
- a help desk for information inquiries on business in Japan;
- assistance with using the Enterprise Europe Network service while in Japan. (****)
Applicants must be:
- working for an SME(*) that is a juridical person based and headquartered in:
- the European Union, or
- a country associated to the Single Market Programme, SME Pillar(**)
- working in a management position
- at least 20 years of age at the date of submission of the application form
(*) SMEs (small and medium-sized enterprises) are companies meeting the standard European Commission criteria for an SME which have applied successfully for a grant. Other companies are large companies or SMEs that fail to apply successfully for a grant.
(**) Please check the status of your country at https://ec.europa.eu/info/funding-tenders/opportunities/docs/2021-2027/smp/guidance/list-3rd-country-participation_smp_en.pdf, for EFTA countries, please only refer to the sub-paragraph: "COSME strand (SMP COSME)". For EU Acceding countries, candidate countries and potential candidates, please only refer to the countries for which the agreement is in force.
SMP-COSME: Stands for “Countries Participating in the COSME strand of the Single Market Programme". The Single Market Programme is the Commission programme that funds the EU-Japan Centre.
(***) unlimited local calls
(****) If you wish to benefit from the support of the Enterprise Europe Network (EEN) in your internationalisation process, the Centre will be pleased to introduce you to the relevant organisation in your area in charge of the EEN support