Vulcanus in Japan - A training programme for EU / COSME students
Testimonials FROM former participants
Ms Gizem Cicek (TR)
"Can you imagine yourself feeling so lucky all the time? I couldn’t, until I got a chance to live in Japan." Read more
Ms Madalina IOVANICA (RO)
"I applied for Vulcanus in Japan with the mindset that the program would, for sure substantially, improve my professional skills and stimulate my personal growth. And so it happened." Read more
What is it?
Vulcanus in Japan started in 1997. The programme consists of industrial placements for EU / COSME* students. It starts in September and ends in August of the following year in order to accommodate the academic year in EU Member States.
The students follow:
- a one-week seminar on Japan,
- a four-month intensive Japanese language course,
- and then an eight-month traineeship in a Japanese company.
- To study the range of advanced technologies employed by a leading Japanese host company.
- To learn Japanese and to understand and appreciate Japanese culture with a view to an enriching one year experience abroad.
- To be well placed in your future career to interact with Japanese businesses and people.
Who pays what
This programme is financed by the EU-Japan Centre for Industrial Cooperation and the Japanese host company. The EU / COSME* students are awarded a grant (Yen 1.900.000) to cover the cost of travel to and from Japan and living expenses in Japan. There is no charge for the language course and seminar, and accommodation is provided free of charge during the course and seminar and the company traineeship.
Are you eligible?
You must be:
- citizen of an EU Member-State or a COSME * partening country.
a student of engineering or science ** at an EU / COSME university, enrolled –at the moment of application– in between the 4th official year of university studies (3 undergraduate + 1) and the penultimate year of PhD.
- able to provide a certificate of enrollment at the university valid until at least 3 months prior to the starting of the programme (please note that you cannot complete your cycle of studies before June)
(*) Non EU ? Please check if your country has joined COSME and the agreement is “in force”. Then you can apply. (See here the status of your country & of the country of your university.)
(**) Computer science, science engineering, mechanical engineering, chemical, electronics, biotechnology, electrical engineering, physics, telecommunication, nuclear engineering, civil engineering, metal materials, ceramics, production system, GNSS, etc.
Applicants are short-listed on the basis of their academic record and the opinion of their tutors, their knowledge of written and spoken English, their motivation, their attitude to EU-Japan relations and their ability to adapt to a different culture. The final say lies with the Japanese host companies. (for more information: click here)
How to apply
Session: September 2021 - August 2022 --> Online applications to be submitted between 10 January and 10 February 2021
What documents should you submit? How should you apply? Pease check document "How to apply" (Available in the grey box headed "Vulcanus documents", on this page).
Any questions? Please read the "Frequently Asked Questions" document and "More info on compulsory docs", available in the grey box headed "Vulcanus documents".
Please take a look at the file "LOP - List of Placements", that you will find in the grey box, in this webpage. This file will be regularly updated with the incoming offers of placements that we will receive. Last possible update: 1st february 2021
- Article 1.1: In the event that the European Commission which funds the EU-Japan Centre for Industrial Cooperation (hereafter “the Centre”) is not able to approve funding commitment for the Centre after 31 March 2022 (end of the COSME funding to the Centre), the Centre will reserve the right to terminate the Vulcanus in Japan Programme for 2021-2022. Applicants to the Vulcanus in Japan Programme will be promptly notified of their termination.
- Article 1.2: Citizens of non-EU Countries participating in COSME (https://ec.europa.eu/docsroom/documents/39579) are eligible to apply and participate in the Centre’s training programmes until 31 March 2022. Depending on the eligibility on Non-EU countries in the new programme succeeding COSME, the concerned applicants will be notified by the Centre about their eligibility or not in the Vulcanus in Japan Programme for 2021-2022.