Vulcanus in Europe - host a Japanese intern in R&D
For EU companies willing to host a Japanese intern in R&D.
Industrial placements in R&D for 8 months
>>> Testimonials at the bottom of this page <<<
'Vulcanus in Europe' offers EU based companies the possibility to host a Japanese trainee in R&D for 8 months (from August to March). A valuable addition to their workforce and a positive input in the development of their business with Japan.
For the trainees, this is the experience of a lifetime: A full immersion in the European business culture and the opportunity to acquire a know-how in view of a future career in relation with Europe.
Structure of the programme
The programme takes place in Europe, where students stay for one year, from April to March. The Vulcanus year is structured in the following way:
- Early April: students attend a seminar in Brussels on European culture, industry and the EU;
- From April to July: students attends a 15-week intensive language course, to gain a working knowledge of the language spoken in their future host company;
- From August 2019 to March 2020: students do a 8-month placement at an industrial company located in the EU.
All companies in the industrial sector within the EU are eligible (no need to have already established business contacts with Japan).(*)
Companies must be ready to integrate the trainee(s) into their team. (A major reason for Japanese students to apply is to acquire experience of working within a team and thereby gaining an understanding of European approaches to team-working, decision-making and cross-cultural issues).
(*) we recommend companies to host max 1 student (though it will be possible to host up to 2 students in some circumstances)
How to apply
The application form will be avaible in this webpage, starting from May.
Please download it, fill it in and submit by email attachment, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline to apply: 23 September 2018
Who is your trainee?
academic background / personnality
- Chosen from among Japan's best students
- Level of studies: usually attending a postgraduate course. To apply, he/she must have completed at least the 3rd year undergraduate.
- Faculty/discipline: engineering (mechanical, electrical, electronics, civil, nuclear, etc.) / architecture / biology, chemistry, biotechnology, physics / metal materials, ceramics / computer science, telecommunications / production systems....etc
- Selected on the basis of the excellence of his/her academic (academic record, opinion of his/her tutors)
- ... and personal background (motivation and ability to adapt.
- Knowledge of your working language: Before the traineeship the student will attend a 15-week intensive course in the EU language spoken in your company. Moreover, the student already speaks English, when applying.
- Knowledge of the European culture: before the traineeship, the student will attend a seminar on the European culture and Institutions.
your company chooses the trainee
- You propose the contents of the traineeship. If suitable students are selected by the Centre, you will make the final decision as to which of them to accept.
The industrial placement lasts 8 months (from August 2019 to March of the following year).
What the company pays
(See special information and exceptions on the right)
Special information & exceptions (Based on current national laws)
Germany: Companies must pay the student directly, the monthly national minimum wage, which exceeds 6,600 €
France: Companies must to pay the student a direct payment of € 6,600, split into 8 months (August-March)
Italy: Companies are requested to provide a direct monthly payment to the student/accommodation/ meals during working hours. Such costs for the company should not exceed 6600€. (The entity of the direct payemnt has to be agreed with the Centre, through the Vulcanus contract)
Grant received by the student
The Centre will give a grant to the student of about 11.500€, to cover the travel and the accommodation costs.
(for students in Germany, France, Italy, who already receive a direct payment from the Company, the grant from the Centre will be of about 5.000€,)
Prior to the trainee's arrival in Europe, i.e. four months before the traineeship begins, the company will sign a traineeship contract with the trainee and the EU-Japan Centre for Industrial Cooperation, which lays down the rights and the responsibilities of all parties.
Background of the programme
'Vulcanus in Europe' was launched in 1996 on the initiative of the European Commission and the Japanese Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) with the purpose of contributing to the improvement and stimulation of industrial cooperation and of improving mutual understanding between Japan and the European Union. The EU-Japan Centre for Industrial Cooperation is responsible for the actual organisation of the programme
Testimonials from former host companies
Andras Mate — Mortoff (Hungary)
"I am Andras Mate, Digital Architect of Mortoff IT and Consulting in Hungary, Europe. We were hosting Minami Usuda in our team from August 2016 until March 2017." Read more
Francisco Abril, Tiger Coatings GmbH (Austria)