BIOTECH Cluster/SME Mission
Since 2013, the EU-Japan Centre is organizing Cluster/SME Missions in the field of Biotech/Pharma.
For 2021 we have made the decision to plan with a virtual mission because we cannot foresee if, and under which conditions the Japanese authorities will allow business travel from Europe to Japan this year. (Since April 2020, nationals of all EU member states are denied entry to Japan, until further notice)
Under these circumstances we provide the best opportunity to get in contact with Japanese companies and research organisations in the field of Pharma, Biotechnologies and Life Sciences.
ONLINE MISSION CONTENTS
- A preparatory Webinar
- Extensive promotion of participant’s profiles to stakeholders in Japan prior to the mission.
- Participation in the European Biotech & Pharma Virtual Partnering Conference, an event jointly organized by the EU-Japan Centre for Industrial Cooperation and Osaka Prefectural Government from 27-30 September, 2021. For more information click here!
- Remote participation in BioJapan, from 13-15 October, 2021 including online access to the BioJapan Partnering and on-site representation in the exhibition by the EU-Japan Centre. (Deadline passed)
Selected participants will be notified by mid-June and have to commit to their presence in all parts of the programme.
- Maximize partnering opportunities with Japanese Biotech, Pharma and Healthtech companies
- meet potential business partners,
- create new business opportunities
- develop partnerships and business cooperation with Japanese companies
- increase your knowledge about the Japanese market and become more competitive on a global scale (as an SME)
- prepare the ground for practical cluster cooperation with Japanese counterparts (as a cluster)
The programme targets participants from EU companies (SMEs mainly) and clusters from the EU or COSME partnering countries, active in sectors covered by the trade fair, i.e:
- Drug and Drug Discovery (Biologics, Vaccine Small-Molecule Drug etc.)
- Digital Technologies and AI for Drug Development, Bioinformatics
- Cell therapies, Regenerative Medicine
- Drug Discovery Support and Contract Services (Drug Synthesis Services, Analysis Contract Services, Compound Libraries and Screening etc.)
- Digital Medecine
- Medical Devices and Equipment (AI-assisted Drug Development, Drug-Device combinations etc.)
- Digital Therapeutics (Non-pharmacological therapy systems, App-device combinations)
- Healthcare/Preventive Medicine (Health management Apps, App-device-combinations)
SERVICES INCLUDED - WHO PAYS WHAT
The EU-Japan Centre covers all costs directly related to the Biotech mission:
- Organisation of preparatory Webinar prior to the Mission
- Partnering Access for BioJapan Expo
- Joint representation of mission participants in an exhibition booth in BioJapan organized by the EU-Japan Centre for Industrial Cooperation.
- ·Promotion of participants’ profiles to potential Japanese partners even before and during the mission, translation of company profile summaries into Japanese.
The candidate must:
- be a citizen of an EU Member State or of a COSME partnering country;
- work for a company that is > 50% EU (or COSME partnering country) owned;
- work for an organisation that is an EU (or COSME partnering country) juridical person;
- be supported by his/her employer
- be able to participate in the entire programme
- have a good command of English
- be a manager with proven experience in industry
Representatives of EU SMEs or Clusters can apply for the mission until May 27. Until mid-June we would inform selected companies and give more detailed information on how the Mission is going to take place.
The main criteria for selection will be:
- the innovative aspects of the product/technology/service offered by the company
and their market potential in Japan
- the strategy of the participant's company regarding Japan
- the professional & educational background of the candidate
* SMEs are companies meeting the standard European Commission criteria for an SME
(**): Clusters are those who are registered in the European Cluster Cooperation Platform (http://www.clustercollaboration.eu). Registration on that platform is free of charge.
THE BIOTECH SECTOR IN JAPAN
Looking for information about the biotech sector in Japan?
Visit the dedicated pages in our EU Business in Japan website:
Free membership registration.