BIOTECH Cluster/SME Mission
The EU-Japan Centre for Industrial Cooperation and Osaka Bio Headquarters (Osaka Prefecture): Biotech & Pharma Virtual Partnering Event from 28-30 September.
The EU-Japan Centre for Industrial Cooperation and Osaka Prefectural Government will jointly organize a Biotech & Pharma Virtual Partnering Conference 2020 from 28-30 September. This annual drug discovery partnering event, which used to take place in Osaka, will be held online this year.
All B2B meetings will take place in the form of video calls directly made via an online partnering platform.
To register to this 3-day virtual partnering event please click here!
Many of the participants from Europe are biotech companies which target the Japanese market. Japanese registrants stretch from big pharma to biotech ventures looking for European partners. Participation in this event is free of charge.
Last minute participants can register on the above website or contact the EU-Japan Centre by e-mail until September 23; Daniel Gralki, Masae Ozawa - firstname.lastname@example.org
What about the Biotech mission 2020?
Unfortunately, due to ongoing travel restrictions in Japan the EU-Japan Centre had no choice but to cancel the annual Biotech mission for this year. However, the EU-Japan Centre will still have a small presence at the BioJapan 2020 trade fair in the form of a booth space and offer the opportunity to promote for free your company at our BioJapan booth.
1) We offer to print an A4 brochure containing an overview of all EU companies interested in this opportunity, containing:
- Company name
- Website (QR Code)
- Company logo
- A short 40-character description of their activities
- Optionally, a portrait/vertical-oriented image can be included that gives more information on the company (due to its small size, images with no text are recommended)
2) We also offer to print double-sided A4 leaflets in Japan. In order to make use of this opportunity please provide us with a digital file in PDF or a similar file format.
Please do take note that these leaflets will be printed on standard A4 office paper, which might result in a white border around the leaflet.
To register for this opportunity please click here!
Please make sure to skip ahead to the submit button once all required questions are answered by October 1st (Thursday). All the necessary information will be collected through the above survey.
In case you have any questions, please feel free to reach out by emailing EENemail@example.com.
Next Biotech mission in 2021 (TBC)
ABOUT THE MISSION
The Biotech Cluster/SME mission is organised on the fringe of “BioJapan” Expo in Yokohama. During the fair (3 days) you will attend B2B meetings and meet with Japanese visitors. In order to maximize your partnering opportunities, you will be able to exhibit in the EU-Japan Centre booth.
Professional interpreters will be on hand during the trade fair to help you communicate with potential Japanese business partners.
Based on materials you provide, the EU-Japan Centre will arrange Japanese-language posters to promote your product at the EU Delegation booth at the trade fair.
Additionally, a partnering event will be organised in Osaka one day before the fair with the cooperation of local administrations and biotech clusters.
For information about this year partnering event in Osaka please click here.
A Welcome Get-together for mission participants will also be organized on the evening before the mission starts. This is an occasion to meet other participants in a casual and friendly atmosphere for those who have already arrived at that time.
A month before the mission, an online pre-departure briefing will help you prepare for the mission to ensure you get the most out of it.
Through this 4-day mission you will have the opportunity to:
- display your technology at one of Japan’s leading trade shows
- meet potential business partners
- create new business opportunities
- develop partnerships and business cooperation on global markets
- attend match-making events
- increase your innovation capacity and become more competitive on a global scale (as an SME)
- prepare the ground for practical cluster cooperation across borders and make a more strategic use of transnational cluster cooperation on markets outside Europe in areas of strategic interest (as a cluster)
The programme targets participants from EU companies (SMEs mainly) and clusters from the EU or COSME partnering countries, active in sectors covered by the trade fair, i.e:
- Drug and Drug Discovery (Biologics, Vaccine Small-Molecule Drug etc.)
- Digital Technologies and AI for Drug Development, Bioinformatics
- Cell therapies, Regenerative Medicine
- Drug Discovery Support and Contract Services (Drug Synthesis Services, Analysis Contract Services, Compound Libraries and Screening etc.)
- Medical Treatment, Diagnosis
- Medical Devices and Equipment
- SmartCell industry
The candidate must:
- be a citizen of an EU Member State or of a COSME partnering country;
- work for a company that is > 50% EU (or COSME partnering country) owned;
- work for an organisation that is an EU (or COSME partnering country) juridical person;
- be supported by his/her employer
- be able to participate in the entire programme
- have a good command of English
- be a manager with proven experience in industry
The main criteria for selection are:
- the professional & educational background of the candidate;
- the strategy of the participant's company regarding Japan;
- the innovative aspects of the product/technology/service offered by the company.
In order to ensure a high degree of personal attention, the number of participants in this mission is limited.
PARTICIPATION FEE – GRANT - GUARANTEE - CANCELLATION
The EU-Japan Centre covers all costs directly related to the mission (i.e. Osaka partnering event registration, trade fair registration, booth rental & printing service to give participants more visibility, access to the partnering system; interpretation at the fair).
The participants' companies must cover travel costs to/from Japan, accommodation and any other costs not covered directly by the EU-Japan Centre (living expenses).
SMEs * and CLUSTERS **:
Participation is free. On top, SMEs and clusters benefit from a €600 grant but absences during the mission may lead to deductions amounting to 150 EUR/day.
SMEs and clusters must pay a 100% refundable deposit of €1,000 to guarantee the place on the mission.
Failure to transfer the deposit by the deadline set by the Centre may result in the offer of the place being withdrawn.
The deposit will be refunded within 8 weeks after the mission only if the participant submits any and all reports the Centre asks him/her to make.
If, for whatever reason, a participant cannot take up his / her confirmed place, the deposit may NOT be refunded.
OTHER ENTITIES (entities that cannot be considered as SMEs * or clusters **):
Other entities must pay a contribution of €1,000 towards the costs incurred by the EU-Japan Centre in relation to the company's participation.
Failure to do so by the deadline set by the Centre may result in the offer of the place being withdrawn.
If, for whatever reason, a participant cannot take up his / her confirmed place, the contribution may NOT be refunded.
* SMEs are companies meeting the standard European Commission criteria for an SME
(**): Clusters are those who are registered in the European Cluster Cooperation Platform (http://www.clustercollaboration.eu). Registration on that platform is free of charge.
THE BIOTECH SECTOR IN JAPAN
Looking for information about the biotech sector in Japan?
Visit the dedicated pages in our EU Business in Japan website:
Free membership registration.